Queens

Queens

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Arequipa

My next stop in Peru was Arequipa, the colonial capital of the region by the same name, which had not one, but three volcanoes you can see in the distance. Shockingly I went down in elevation, but still managed to be higher than both Denver and Flagstaff. This was relevant when I went running a couple of days later.

My new friends and I boarded the bus in Puno and several hours later, and a roadside pee stop, we made it to Arequipa. It was getting pretty late, so we got in a taxi and headed to the old city. Eva and I didn't have a booking, so made the rounds to find a hostel with hot water and wifi, for not a lot of money. After a few tries, we got a room and took showers immediately. After checking into the real world (aka social media), we called it a night.

The following morning, after breakfast on the rooftop, we headed our separate ways to different hostels. I booked a room at a place close by where I was able to get my own room for a few nights. I spent the morning catching up on things and making a plan for the following days.

There was another guest somewhere around my age that seemed nice. However, there was also an older guy that was pretty friendly with her. He wasn't staying there, but I would see him hanging around the next few days. I wasn't entirely sure what was going on between them, but it definitely seemed off. I didn't want to pry, but was curious of the situation. She left the same day I did, and it seemed, without him. Which may have been a good thing.


Hostel patio. 
I decided it was time to get lunch and go check out the city. After a burger and beer, I walked to Plaza de Armas. I was surprised to find hundreds of pigeons hanging around. I almost thought I was in NYC. But you would never see this many in one spot. And people were enjoying it. I like birds (not pigeons), but prefer them to not surround me and fly around. There's a reason why there's a horror movie called The Birds. The church in the background was beautiful though. 


Pigeons everywhere.

I made plans to meet Beatrix (from Portugal) and we headed to a nearby rooftop to have a few drinks. We just hung out and chatted as the sun went down. She's a pretty cool girl and it would be great to meet up with her someday. We'll see where our paths take us. 


Rooftop drinks.

We walked around town after getting our fill of beer, and got a glimpse of the church at night. It's very pretty and reminds me much of the various cities in Spain, like Seville. Those Spaniards know what's up when it comes to their churches.


Beautiful at night.

The next morning I got myself motivated to go for a run and boy was it a doozy. The last time I ran was about 2 weeks prior in Buenos Aires. I knew I wouldn't run much in Cusco, but I didn't think I would go that long. Again, I wasn't fully aware of the elevation I was at. Yes, there was a reason why my miles were slower and why I only got 3 of them in. I was wiped out. That's what happens at 2380 meters. I'd like to think altitude training will only benefit me. But I think I need to be there long-term. 


Trying to get some miles in at altitude.

Later that morning, I met up with my new friend Eva (from Hungary) to go see the Monasterio de Santa Catalina. Beatrix had gone and said it was really cool. Normally it wouldn't be something I would put at the top of the list, but I'm glad I went. Throughout the beautiful grounds, everything was painted blue or red. Really great for photos. 


Blue arches.

Halfway through our exploring the arches, alleys, and rooms, we stopped to have dessert for lunch. We tried the local artisanal queso helado. You would think there was some sort of cheese involved, but unfortunately there wasn't. I know. I know. Cheese in ice cream? But they add it to cake, so I'm convinced it could work. Anyway. Back to the cheese-less ice cream. It was like a creamy shaved ice. I enjoyed it, especially since it was hot out.


Queso helado.

We continued to explore the grounds and proceeded to take photos of each other throughout.


Posing against the blue walls.

The painted red and blue walls with the narrow roads were so cute and quiet.


Narrow roads.

We eventually finished our tour of the monastery, and I went to get a beer. Which ended up being the only beer I could get there. Choosing to have only one versus not being able to get a second are two very different things. Since the Presidential election was the following day, no one was allowed to sell beer. There is no way they would be able to get away with that back home. After not getting a second beer, I decided to see if I could get one somewhere else and eventually find dinner. Well I was successful. Since it was tucked away and a tourist spot, they were a bit more lax on selling alcohol. I got a bottle of a local beer and sat with Beatrix, who I randomly ran into, and a few of her friends. 


Yes to craft beer.

After my beer, I headed off to dinner (where I didn't have beer). I came across a recommended restaurant and enjoyed a dinner of potatoes and alpaca. Typical fare for the area. 


Potatoes and alpaca.

The following morning, I got another run in at altitude before my flight to Lima. I headed over to the Yanahuara neighborhood, which offered some great views of the surrounding volcanoes. It's such a shame that it's been so hazy, but glad I got a nice view before leaving town. I would have loved to linger and explore the neighborhood, but I had to get a move on. 


One of the volcanoes in the distance.


I headed to the airport and got on the plane to Lima. Before leaving the region, I got some nice views of the landscape below, before heading to the ocean. 

View from the plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment