Queens

Queens

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Family Tree

#19.

I never had to do my family tree for school. I think all of my siblings have, but not me. I guess I lucked out. However, this year I wanted to begin building my family tree. I guess as you get older, you wonder more about where you came from. Earlier this year, I worked on compiling names and birthdates, but then got sidetracked with everything else going on in my life.

I finally revisited this about a month ago when a friend recommended myheritage.com for building my tree. And boy was that a great suggestion!

I began immediately filling in all my siblings and parents. I then added aunts, uncles and cousins. Even the kids of some of my cousins. Then I branched out to my grandparents. I emailed some relatives to get birth and death dates. I made some great progress with my maternal grandfather’s branch—thanks to my mom and my aunt Kim.

I still need to work on other branches of the family, especially my dad’s side. I need more generations past my paternal grandparents. Unfortunately, they are both dead, so I need to tap my aunts and uncles for any knowledge they have.

But I do have 113 people in my tree so far. It seems like a lot. But I'm missing a lot of the older generations. I feel like I’m only on the tip of the iceberg. Over the holidays, I will be questioning all my relatives to make this as complete as possible. It’s actually quite a lot of fun to do. This will be an ongoing project for months/years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment