Queens

Queens

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Race Buddy

I’ve volunteered lots of times before. So technically this isn’t a ‘new’ thing on my list. The last time I volunteered with kids, was in college in the Pediatric wing at Strong Memorial. Unfortunately, it’s taken me way longer to volunteer again. I also planned to do something on a regular basis. But life got in the way.  
I knew I wanted to volunteer with kids. I do love them, even though some of them cry too loud on the subway when you are still trying to wake up on the way to work. I also wanted to combine volunteering with 2 of my favorite things—running and reading. So I filled out my volunteer application with NYRR and decided it would be good to influence kids to be more active.
After many attempts, I was able to finally volunteer today with the RACE Program with NYRR. Today was the team's final run (the Percy Sutton 5k was cancelled due to Hurricane Irene) and it was a 5k in East River Park.

It was a bit hot and humid this morning, but a bit breezy on the river. I was paired up with 3 teenaged girls and we made our way around the 2 loops of the 5k course. It definitely wasn’t my fastest 5k (my time was on par with the Yankee Stadium 5k I did last year), but it was fun. It was nice to be out there encouraging kids to be more active. Ideally I’d like to get involved in a regular program so I could see kids more often to get to get to know them and be a bigger influence. Maybe next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment