Queens

Queens

Friday, November 30, 2012

french food

I checked off one more item off my 12 in 2012 list. Not sure if I'm going to do them all, but I'll keep trying over the next month. But one more done.  

Last night I took a French Bistro cooking class. I had wanted to take a reoccurring class, but decided it was just a little too expensive, so decided to limit it to one class. I found the Home Cooking website and went with it. I figured French cuisine was a good way to start—the Julia Child way.

The menu included:
 
- Goat Cheese Soufflé
- Roasted Beef Tenderloin with Wild Mushroom Râgout
- String Beans with Pistachio-Shallot Butter
- Potato and Caramelized Onion Gratin with Gruyère
- Dark Chocolate Mousse

Mixing the mousse.
Our chef John led us through the entire process of making the dinner (which we got to eat later on). Throughout, he gave us tips and suggestions. I obviously diligently took notes for when I recreate this someday. Which will probably be never, or at least not anytime soon. We started off making dessert. John suggested that you always start with dessert and then you can put it aside for later.

Heating it up.
Our group of 11 assisted in trimming green beans, peeling pistachios, cutting onions, folding the mousse and soufflé, and of course drinking the wine. I attempted to cut potatoes with a mandoline, which wasn't a good idea. Luckily I didn't cut off a chunk of my finger. I also helped layer the potatoes and caramelized onions for the gratin. Cheese was also included in the layers—the way I like it.

The final layer.
 
Most things made sense to me. I must have picked up more info over the years of working and eating in restaurants. But I did learn a few things:

1 – Mousse and soufflé isn't as intimidating as I thought (although that doesn't mean I won't mess up the first time I attempt this)

2 – When cooking a full course meal, you need to be organized in the steps and order of each item throughout the process

3 – Always drink wine when you cook (ok, I knew that one already)

The final product.

We ended the night by eating what we made and it was pretty damn delish. I would totally take another class. Maybe next year I’ll try another type of cuisine.

No comments:

Post a Comment