Queens

Queens

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Kangaroo Meat

#12

Why did I put kangaroo meat on my list? Well, I saw it somewhere and had never tried it, so why not. I used to get a lot of questions on whether I’m a vegetarian. I think it’s because I’m a runner. My response is, “my dad is a hunter”. So yeah, I’m a meat eater. I’ve had all the traditional meats—venison, pork, beef, steak, chicken, ect. I even tried alligator sophomore year of college down in Ft. Lauderdale. I figured kangaroo meat wasn’t really readily available so I added it. It would be a challenge to find it and then actually eat it.

My friend Nick had found a place that served it and I figured I could get some guy to take me out for #8. Well that didn’t happen. And the restaurant apparently had stopped serving it. I kind of forgot about it. A few months later, Nick and I made plans to meet up for dinner. I am moving soon, so we had to hang out one last time. Luckily he was thinking of my list and googled and searched on menu pages for a place that served kangaroo in NYC. And we were in luck.

Public on Elizabeth Street has a kangaroo appetizer dish. So of course we made reservations and met up last night to try this exotic fare. We started with some drinks and dove right into it. It was grilled kangaroo on a coriander falafel with lemon tahini sauce and green pepper relish. Pretty good. It tasted like beef. I thought it would be a white meat (as did Nick), but it was red. We ate it up. I would definitely eat it again (although it’s endangered in some parts). We moved onto our main dishes and caught up. We finished off with some dessert at Rice to Riches. I tried a new food, so why not a new dessert. I got the chocolate chip flirt. It was good. But ice cream is definitely better.

It was a good night of catching up and trying new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment