Queens

Queens

Friday, January 7, 2011

New Year's Resolution

I’m a big list person. Probably ‘cause I am slightly OCD. I make travel lists, packing lists, to do lists, and so forth. Over the years I’ve made various lists of things I want to do in my lifetime. My goals include going to all 50 states (21 so far), to all 7 continents (2 so far), and swim in all the oceans (1 so far), among other things. Did you know there is a new Southern Ocean? Some things I’ve wanted to do since I was a kid, such as graduate college and go to Europe (both accomplished) and others just kind of happened, like run a marathon (I’ve done 4).

Well 30 is quickly approaching (Thanksgiving Day this year!!) and there’s still more that I want to do. So my New Year’s Resolution is to do 30 things I’ve never done (or slight variations of things I have done) before my 30th birthday. #1 on the list is to write a blog. So now I’ll blog about accomplishing my 30 “goals” over the next 11 months.

How did I choose my 30 (note the bonus #31)? Well there are things that I’ve always wanted to do, such as learn more about my family and sky dive. Others are things I’ve been putting off because life is hectic, like frame pics from the last 5 years of my life.

Some things are goofy and will hopefully provide a good laugh, others I’m petrified doing. Go on 11 dates this year?! Yikes. Unless it’s with Justin Timberlake, this will be a bit terrifying.

I figured I’d also do some good and volunteer with kids since I do love them (just not having them anytime soon!). I also must finish knitting that damn scarf I started over 2 years ago!

My deadline is November 24, 2011, which does happen to be Thanksgiving. Hopefully I will be celebrating with my family with lots of turkey and everyone on this list checked off!! And now it begins…

My 30 Before 30 list (Plus a bonus):

  1. Write a blog
  2. Go to an NFL or MLS game
  3. Boston Qualify
  4. Sky dive
  5. Go to the Baseball Hall of Fame
  6. Finish knitting the scarf I started in November 2008
  7. Pay off my credit card debt
  8. Go on 11 dates (1/month)
  9. Improve my race pace to 7 minutes/mile
  10. Snowboard for the 1st time
  11. Pick 10 classic novels and read them
  12. Try kangaroo meat
  13. Finish a whole crossword puzzle (no cheating)
  14. Take a photography class
  15. Move
  16. Shoot a gun at a shooting range
  17. Travel to a continent I’ve never been to (I’ve only been to North America and Europe)
  18. Go on a hot air balloon ride
  19. Create my Family Tree
  20. Bake a pie from scratch
  21. Write a haiku
  22. Do a Polar Bear plunge
  23. Take a sommelier class
  24. Volunteer with kids
  25. Dance in a flash mob
  26. Print and frame pictures from post-college
  27. Try paddle boarding or surfing
  28. Get a fancy drink somewhere fancy in NYC
  29. Do a mud run or obstacle course race
  30. Watch the sunrise and sunset on same day from 2 different coasts of the USA
  31. Kiss Justin Timberlake

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea, Shawnessy! And I'm glad you went with the one-date-per-month idea. Go big or go home, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just curious how you're going to find the guys though - are you asking the guys out or are you getting your friend to set you up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now, I'm asking friends and family to help me out. Also, if I meet someone and if I think they would be fun to go on a date with, I'll do the asking. We will see how this goes though...

    ReplyDelete