Queens

Queens

Friday, April 8, 2016

Bariloche

We made an impromptu decision to go to Bariloche, in Patagonia. We arrived at the airport in Iguazu and booked a flight onward from Buenos Aires. Since we had already checked our luggage, when we arrived in Buenos Aires, we were rushing a bit. Our flight was delayed coming in and then we had to wait forever for our baggage. I think there may have been only one person loading all the luggage off the plane, transporting it to the carousel, and then unloading. Sandra alerted someone that we were were coming since we had to go through security again. We were sure they weren't going to leave without us, but we definitely ran a bit through the airport. We got on our plane and settled in for the short flight. Despite all the rushing at the airport, we were very pleased when we arrived. We didn't have much time to do anything after getting into Bariloche, but we did walk along the lake for a few minutes, and then grabbed some food and beer.


Patagonia beer.

For the first night, we stayed in a hostel since we weren't able to book anything, but the following morning we headed to where we were staying for the next few nights. And we were glad we were switching. Not only was the price comparable, but the apartment was amazing with great views of Lago Nahuel Huapi. 


Airbnb view.

We went for a run along the lake, which was precarious at points. There was a sidewalk for a little bit, but then it was all road. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but it was a heavily trafficked road. That afternoon we spent some time exploring the town and checked out the Plaza Centro Civico. The town is very reminiscent of Switzerland or parts of Germany. German immigrants settled there, and there was a town redesign so it could resemble a European alpine town. I think they were successful. 


Little Switzerland.

The following morning we got up and made our way to Llao Llao. We got on one of the local buses that ended at the Llao Llao Hotel, apparently one of the nicest hotels in all of Argentina. We wanted to scope it out, but they seemed to guard the door pretty heavily. Too bad. So we only got a glimpse of the outside. I'm sure this is where Obama stayed when he came to town. 
Llao Llao Hotel.

We got going with our hike and made our way along the road to the trail head for Cerro Llao Llao. It wasn't too strenuous of a hike and soon we got some more stunning views of Lake Nahuel Huapi and the surrounding mountains. We were only at the edge of Patagonia and it was amazing. I can't imagine what it's like further south.

Cerro Llao Llao.

We took a break for lunch and just enjoyed the view. 

Another view of Lago Nahuel Huapi.

After eating, we headed back down to check out the lakes up close. We first came up on Lake Nahuel Huapi, the only lake we've seen so far. I had wanted to go swimming, but it was a little chilly and I didn't have my suit with me. 



Too chilly for swimming.

We continued on our hike and had a pleasant walk along Lake Moreno and through the forest. Once we finished, we waited for the bus. Which was going to be interesting since we didn't have enough money on our Sube card and apparently no one in this remote area has the ability to fill it. Luckily there are nice people that let us use their cards. Otherwise, maybe we would have gotten a free ride? 


Lago Moreno.

We made it back to town and decided to check out the ice cream and chocolate scene. Besides the beautiful scenery, Bariloche is known for it's chocolate, and Argentina for it's ice cream. And as a lover of ice cream and chocolate, I needed to investigate. We got some ice cream right after our hike and it was pretty damn good. Later on, we checked out the chocolate. With Easter approaching, the window displays were all decorated to the nines. I got some different samples at Rapa Nui that night, but over the next few days, we checked out a few others chocolatiers in town and stocked up. 


Rapa Nui Chocolates.

Since we hiked the previous day and had enough time in town, we had a little bit of a low-key day. I did get another run in and it was a longer one at it. Which included some brutal hills. I am signed up for the Broad Street 10-miler in May, so I wanted to get some longer runs in, along with some speedwork. I got the long run in, but the speedwork would have to wait. 

Running hills to get the view.

We hopped on the bus again and headed to Blest Brewery. Now with enough money on our Sube card. 

Blest Brewery.

It was such a nice day that we sat outside while I drank my sampler. The beer is pretty good in Argentina. Like back home, there are some not-so-great beers (which I still tried), and others that were great (I kept drinking those). 


Sampling it up.

We had one last full day in Bariloche and before we started a fun-filled day, we got an amazing view of the sunrise. Watching the sun rise is so much easier in your pajamas, and not far from your bed. 

Beautiful sunrise.

Sandra really wanted to go horseback riding and it was something I was interested in. But I was trying to determine whether I should, given the cost. And then I figured, why not. We made a point to not eat all our meals out, so that helped with my budget. So we took the bus to Cabalgatas Tom Wesley and rode horses for the morning. 


Riding caballos.

Now I haven't ridden a horse in who knows how long. I know I did as a kid since my mom had horses. But it wasn't something I did frequently. Since I've ridden other animals on this trip, and horses are way smaller, I got used to it quickly. But of course at one point, I found myself on a runaway horse. Just like in the movies. We didn't really get a lesson on how to handle the horses, but I figured it out. My horse was finally convinced to go back to the trail to rejoin the others. It was a fun little excursion. 

We rode up one of the nearby hills, and then back down. We trotted to Lake Moreno, where we were the other day, but in a different spot to relax and take a break. From there, we galloped back to conclude our morning of riding. 

Sandra horsing around.

We had a decent group with us, including a bunch of Americans. After talking to them for a bit, we suspected they were there for Obama. He was currently in Argentina and was headed to Bariloche in a day or so. At first we joked that they were there for him when we first met since a lot of people assumed that Sandra and I worked for Obama. We obviously don't. After trying to actually get to know the group of guys, their lips remained sealed in regards to their job. They know each other from work, but are from all over the country and are only in Argentina for 5 days, most of whom were out of the country for the first town. Not suspicious at all. We continued to encounter a bunch of Americans who were probably in the secret service, the Army, or some other branch of the government. Top secret business. 

After our ride, we headed to another brewery to get lunch and relax. The food was actually pretty good and we were definitely feeling good after a few beers in the sun. 

Berlina Brewery.

We ended our stay in Bariloche with a nice steak dinner at a local parilla. And it was pretty damn good. They weren't joking about how good the steak is in Argentina. I was waiting to splurge on a really good piece of meat, and it did not disappoint. 


Bife de chorizo.

Bariloche was pretty impressive and I highly recommend it on anyones visit to Argentina. Someday I'll come back and go further into Patagonia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment