Queens

Queens

Monday, January 9, 2017

Colmar

After getting my fill of Burgundy wine, I took the train to Colmar. Which was probably one of my favorite towns on my trip. It was so cute and picturesque. I checked into my low-budget hotel and went looking for La Petit Venise. Colmar was a great town to photograph with all the pretty buildings and canals. I could definitely tell that I was close to Germany, given the influence on the architecture. And the food. I had to get a pretzel. A chocolate covered pretzel. 

A French pretzel.

I spent some time walking around the Old Town, Quai de la Poissonerie, and La Petite Venise. After getting my fill, ok, after it got dark and I couldn't take any more pictures, I grabbed a drink and read for a bit.

Saint Martin Church.

Colmar buildings.

A lovely building.

La Petite Venise.

The next day was a bit rainy, but I didn't really have a plan. Since I had already seen most of the town, I figured some time at a cute cafe would be a good way to spend my time. I enjoyed some hot tea, read, and people-watched. 

A rainy afternoon.

I spent the rest of the afternoon walking around and enjoying some local food and drink. I wanted to find a cute wine bar to hang out for a while, but had little luck. So instead of trying something new, I returned to the cafe I was at earlier in the day. I made some new friends while I sat there and drank my wine. There were a few older gentlemen that I think were locals. We chatted in broken English and French for a bit before they headed out. They were soon replaced by a French couple who were visiting. I had to work on my French a bit, but they were really nice and friendly. When they left, I think they conveyed that they paid for my wine. I wasn't positive, so I tried to pay when I ended up leaving. And I didn't have to. That was really great of them. It's always fantastic to meet people who go out of their way to be generous.


More canals.

More hearts. 

Colmar at night.

On my last morning in Colmar, I went for a run to the State of Liberty in honor of those running the NYC Marathon later that day, including my sisters. The run wasn't one of my favorites since it was along a main road, but I got a little bit of home during it, so I was happy. When I arrived back in town, I came upon a race. I was a little bummed that I didn't know about it. I should have googled to see if there was a race since I had been looking previously. I cheered a little bit, and then returned to the hotel to shower and pack my bags.

Lady Liberty.

After checking out, I had a little bit more time before my train to Strasbourg, so hung around town for a little bit and cheered on the runners some more. I was definitely experiencing some FOMO. I saw someone wearing a NYC marathon shirt from 2008, one of the years that I ran. So that was exciting. I walked a little bit more around town, but eventually made a move back to my hotel to grab my bags and head to the train station. 

Race finish line.

Posing in doorways.


Off to Strasbourg. 

No comments:

Post a Comment