Queens

Queens

Monday, November 7, 2016

Schaan

Liechtenstein isn't known for too many things, and isn't on most people list of destinations. It is the 6th smallest country in the world, and is doubly landlocked, meaning it's landlocked by 2 landlocked countries (Austria and Switzerland). Only one other country in the world is like that, Uzbekistan. There you go, you know something more than you did a minute ago. 

I do have a lofty goal of visiting every country in the world at some point in my life. So Liechtenstein warranted a visit. I had planned on staying longer than the couple of days that I did, but I guess it was a happy middle ground of going only for a day (some travelers recommendation) or spending a week (seemed too long and would have been too expensive).

Liechtenstein will now have a special meaning to me, as it's my 35th country and I'll be 35 later this year. That's kind of cool. Now to figure out what to do in this tiny country. 

It was pretty easy to get to my hostel, even though it was in the middle of nowhere. After checking in, I went for a walk before it got dark. The sun was just going down and I was hoping for a nice sunset. The hostel was located next to a bunch of fields, and the Rhine River wasn't too far. Since it borders Switzerland, I got a glimpse of the country from afar. I would be visiting soon enough.

From what I could see so far, Liechtenstein was beautiful. It's still in the Alps, so I guess that would make sense. Minus the mountains, it actually reminded me a bit of home.

Dirt roads and cornfields. Just like home.

The following morning morning I went for a run and made it to Switzerland. Yes, I ran to Switzerland. I just had to go over a bridge, so it wasn't that difficult. Which reminds me of another fun fact about Liechtenstein. Switzerland accidentally invaded in 2007. However, Liechtenstein had no idea until Switzerland told them. All is cool with them though.

Running to Schweiz. 

After my run, I went to explore. I had one full day to do what I wanted. Which really wasn't long, but it ended up being a decent amount. I took a walk back over to Switzerland to get some nice photos on my camera, and came across fall on my way.

Expensive pumpkins.

Alte Rheinbrücke.

Lichtenstein or Switzerland?

I had some nice views of Schloss Vaduz, where the royal family lives. Later I would hike up there to see if anyone was home. They wouldn't let me in though.

Schloss Vaduz.

I walked around Vaduz, the capital of the country, for a bit. There wasn't too much going on, and it was pretty quiet. However I did go check out the Postage Stamp Museum, which was free. I was finding Liechtenstein to be expensive. So free was good. The museum has a collection of stamps going back to 1912. I like mailing postcards, so I mailed a few from here specifically. For those that love stamps, this would be an amazing visit I'm sure. 

Downtown Vaduz.

The Postage Stamp Museum.

View of Vaduz.

Fall colors.

After a short hike up the hill to check out the castle and views of the capital down below, I headed back down to visit the royal family's winery, Hofkellerei. It was a nice walk through their vineyard where they had signs for each month indicating the wine-making process. November was the best since that's when they drink it. Or least that's what I gathered from the little German I know. 

I did a tasting of 3 different wines. The vineyard grows 90% pinot noir and 10% chardonnay. The 3 wines were all pinot noir, one a rose, and the others full on red. The staff didn't really stick around to educate me, so I just sat there with my 3 tastings and took my time. It almost amounted to a glass of wine (and it started feeling like it), so I didn't rush it. Sometimes it's nice to not have someone watching you while you do your tastings. Although a little attention would have been nice.

Hofkellerei.

Pinot noir tastings.

After the tastings, I got on the bus to explore a bit more. But I didn't last very long. I took a short walk around Nendeln, a small town north of where I was staying. There wasn't much to see and it was getting late, so decided to call it quits. I headed back to the hostel and relaxed for the rest of the evening.

I ate another delicious breakfast the following morning at the hostel, and made my plan. Of course my last morning was gorgeous. It was going to be a beautiful day to spend on a train.

The fog dissipating.

Switzerland in the distance.

Next stop: Lucerne, Switzerland.

No comments:

Post a Comment