Queens

Queens

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Innsbruck

My next stop in Austria was Innsbruck, a very popular place in the wintertime, but absolutely gorgeous in the fall. My first full day there was such a perfect fall day. The sky was blue, the leaves were bright, and the temperatures were perfect. My first order of business was, of course, to get a run in. I love fall, but the weather hasn't necessarily been cooperating. But days like this remind me why it's amazing.


Such a perfect fall day.

After my nice long run, I went exploring in town and saw the obligatory spots like the Cathedral of St. James and the Golden Roof.



The Cathedral of St. James.

Goldenes Dachl.

I also returned to the river and crossed over to explore the other side. There were a few smaller neighborhoods that were really cute. And hilly.



Colored buildings.

After a bit of wandering, I caught the bus up to Hungerberg to check out the view.


View from Hungerberg.

And then somehow I ended up on a hike. I just followed some people and waited to see where the path would take me. I saw a bunch of families hiking, so I figured I would be fine without my sneakers. And I was. It was a nice walk through the forest uphill.


I, of course, treated myself to a beer once I made it to the lodge. I sat and enjoyed the view for a while. Once I finished my beer, I took a different way down the mountain, and made my way back to the Old Town of Innsbruck to get dinner.



A break for beer.

The following afternoon I took the train to a nearby mountain town, Seefeld. I read good things about it and decided it warranted a visit. By the time I arrived, after getting a run in and doing some errands, I just had the afternoon to explore. 

I first took a walk around Wildsee. It really didn't take long and was very flat. I was hoping for sunnier weather but at least it wasn't raining.

Wildsee.


Mirror image.

Since that didn't take that long, I went to see about hiking up one of the mountains. There was a tram that went up, but I wanted to hike. I saw a ton of people coming down so decided to give it a go. The sign estimated 1 hour and 45 minutes to get to Rosshütte. If it took me that long, it would be dark on my way down. I was hopeful it was an overestimation. And it was. It only took me an hour. I now had time to drink a beer. You see the pattern? Do a hike, drink a beer. That's how I roll. And it's not my fault they are selling them at the top. A girl gets thirsty.

Hiking up.

Hike reward.

Mountains galore.

Stunning.

Once I finished my beer, I headed back down. I went a different way to change up the scenery.

Another mirror image.

After doing a mini tour of Seefeld, and scoping out the hotels I would stay in when I'm rich, I headed back to Innsbruck 

The next day, it was time to head out of town. But first not without getting some tea. I met a few girls in my hostel, and we headed into town to a cafe for a couple of hours before I left. They were really great and I had a nice time chatting with them about various things, like the election, traveling, and offshoots of both those topics. It was a very nice ending to my visit.

I had one more stop in Austria before leaving the country. Next up, Sankt Anton am Arlberg.

No comments:

Post a Comment