Queens

Queens

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Rothenburg ob der Tauber

A bunch of train rides later, but only a couple of hours, I made it to Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Probably one of my favorite spots in Germany. I decided to spend a few nights there. But when looking for a place to stay, all I could find was a low budget hotel. I didn't want to pay that much for a night, and if I had known the weather in Garmisch-Partenkirchen was going to be amazing when I left, I would have stayed another night. But I didn't. However having a room to myself for the first time in a few weeks, was kind of amazing. 

It was getting dark when I walked into to the Old Town, but I could already tell Rothenberg ob der Tauber was super picturesque. I spent a little bit of time exploring before getting dinner. 

Old Town at night.

The next morning when I went to find breakfast, and saw the town in the daylight, it continued to amaze.

Lovely buildings.

After breakfast, I had to check out of the hotel so I headed back for a little bit. I also spent some figuring out what I needed to do for my absentee ballot. I was going to make sure my vote was counted. It took me a little while to figure out what to do, but I got the Federal Post Card Application printed out. All I need to do was fill it out, choose a location to have my ballot sent to, and send the form back home.

After that was figured out, I walked on the city walls and got a nice view of all the red roofs, one of the things that's notable of the town. It was a nice walk, and all the while I couldn't help but think about the people living there, and how they feel about tourists practically gazing unto their windows.

Red rooftops.

Before checking into my hostel, where I was staying for the following 2 nights, I had to go check out the Käthe Wohlfahrt Christmas ornament store, and the Christmas Museum, Deutsches Weihnachtsmuseum. I was thinking it was December, not October. I can only imagine what the town is like at Christmas. I will return again specifically to visit a Christkindlmarkt. I did get in the Christmas spirit by learning about the evolution of what we know as Christmas today. 

Presents.

Käthe Wohlfahrt store.

Upside down Christmas tree.

After checking into the hostel, which was in a way better location, I wandered around the cute and narrow streets, and came across plönlein, one of the prettiest spots in town.

Plönlein.

The following day, I continued on like the day before. I explored another part of the city wall, went outside the wall to see the city from a different view, and walked through a vineyard.

Adorable.

Vineyards.

Me.

But eventually I had to stop and do laundry, so I returned to the hostel for a bit. But since it takes so long, I was able to leave to explore and get some shopping done. I had to buy some ornaments. Obviously.

More cute buildings.

Love the flower boxes.

I spent my remaining time drinking wine at a bäckerei and photographing. I'm so glad that I came across Rothenberg ob der Tauber in my research. And I can't wait to return someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment