Queens

Queens

Friday, October 21, 2016

Füssen

After celebrating Oktoberfest in Munich, I needed to go somewhere recover. And I prioritized going to Neuschwanstein. I've been wanting to go for years now. So I took a train to the southern part of Bavaria to go see the Sleeping Beauty castle in person. I arrived in Füssen, and went in search of food. I enjoyed a little bit of the Old Town as I looked for a place to make up for not eating much that day. Although I went a little over my head and ordered the pork shoulder. It was delicious but I just couldn't finish it. I hope the restaurant doesn't hate me for it.

Dinner.

Feeling more like myself after a full night's sleep, I woke up to clouds and rain. This wasn't ideal weather to head to Neuschwantstein at all. I lingered a bit in town and got breakfast. I figured I waited long enough and finally decided to head out since I didn't want to wait in the long lines that I heard about. I boarded the bus with a bunch of other tourists, and after arriving in Hohenschwangau, I found the ticket line asap. Good thing I walk fast, as I passed a bunch of people. After about 40 minutes of waiting, I got a ticket for the 2pm tour. That was great. Except now I had a few hours to kill. Fortunately, there was a bunch of hiking in the area. So I headed to Alpsee and spent my time walking around the lake. At some point, I had to turn around, but not without some great views. And even better as the sun as the sun was trying to emerge. 

View from Alpsee.

I headed back towards the castle, and hiked up the hill in order to get to my tour in time. I wanted to explore around the castle, but I didn't have enough time. I also hoped that the weather would continue to improve. And it did. At my designated time, I met the fairly large tour group, and we were led into Ludwig II's summer home. We only got to see a few rooms, and since we couldn't take any pictures, you'll have to go and see for yourself. They were pretty impressive though, but a few of them were unfinished. Ludwig II wanted a medieval castle, even if it was 1869 when construction started. But he couldn't help to include some modern conveniences, like a flushable toilet.


Where the commoners live.

After the tour, I walked up towards Marienbrücke. On my way I got a great view of Alpsee and Schloss Hohenschwangau down below.

Alpsee from above.

Once I arrived at Marienbrücke, I had to wait in another line to see the most popular view of Neuschwanstein. Fortunately a lot of people didn't cross the bridge since it wasn't very large. I walked across and up the hill on the other side a bit to change up the view a bit.


Marienbrücke.

Looking for dragons.

Neuschwanstein.

After getting my fill of the castle, I walked down the hill and took another short walk along Alpsee. With the sun out, it was way more stunning. 


Boathouse.

Afterwards I headed back to town and walked around the narrow streets for a bit before dinner.

Evening walk.

And managed to catch the sunset.


Sunset.

The following morning I found a local bäckerei to have breakfast outside before walking to Lechfall. 

Breakfast at a local bäckerei.

Füssen streets.

The Lech River is primarily used for energy production in Füssen. I thought the water was really pretty and would have loved to have taken a dip if it was warmer. 

Lechfall.

Hike through some fields.

Soon it was time to go and head to the next spot. Before leaving town, I bought some fresh bread and Snowballs to take with me. Stay tuned on how they taste. 


Schneebälle. 

I'm glad I spent some time in Fussen instead of doing just a day trip. Where to next? I made a last minute decision to see more of the Bavarian Alps.

No comments:

Post a Comment