Queens

Queens

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Luling

I was headed home. Well not home home. But back to the USA. I boarded my flight in Quito after taking a little bit of a roundabout way, but in the process getting a cab with a girl who was studying abroad. She was very outgoing, and it was great to hear about her experiences. The flight was pretty uneventful. However, even with extra legroom (it was JetBlue), some dude obviously couldn't help himself and man-spread. Fortunately, he got the hint and moved out of my space shortly after take-off. I wasn't about to deal with that for 4 hours. Before I knew it it was morning, and I was in Ft. Lauderdale.

Since my layover was over 10 hours, I got a shuttle ride to the beach. I paid for a gym day pass, and went out for a run. Fortunately it wasn't too hot. I was definitely more acclimated to Florida weather this time than all previous trips to the Sunshine State. I got a few easy miles in, got breakfast, and headed to the beach.



Layover in Ft. Lauderdale.

After swimming for a bit and getting some sun, it was time to head back to the airport. A beer and chat with my bar neighbor later, I boarded my flight to Austin. Of course it was delayed (shocking), but eventually I made it. And went immediately to the bar to meet my friends for some pre-wedding celebrations.



Made it to Texas.

I showed up with my backpack, and may have drawn some stares from the other patrons, found my friends, and got a beer. After some catching up, and maybe a shot or two, a few of us headed out. It was a fun bar and I would love to go back.  But we were all a bit tired from traveling, and definitely hungry.


The next morning, I got my long run in along the highway. Let's say running along the highway wasn't my preference. Is it anyone's? But since our hotel was in the middle of nowhere, I was stuck. Eventually I made it to a park where I was able to get some quiet miles in, before turning around. Good times. 



Running in Texas.

My post-run long run activity usually includes beer, and fortunately my friends were on the same page. They may not have run, but beer is usually on the agenda. We headed to Shiner. We had all been to the brewery before, but that didn't mean we couldn't go back. Unfortunately, like my visit in 2012, there were no tours. I'll have to come back again someday for a tour. 



Shiner Brewery.

After a variety of tastings, we headed to a nearby gas station to eat our lunch and grab some more beer. Yes, the gas station had beer on draft. And picnic tables out back to to enjoy them. Only in Texas.



Picnic.

We then headed off to meet Sara and Marie for some wedding festivities at the Zedler Mill. The brides invited all their guests to hang out for a BBQ the day before the wedding. The weather was lovely and the beer was plentiful. So we planted ourselves there for the rest of the day. 



Somehow we managed to coordinate colors.

The following morning, we walked, yes walked, along the highway to the nearby Buc-ee's, a gas station and convenience store on steroids. I literally left with a damn good BBQ sandwich, candy, a beer coozie, wedding card, and some postcards. And that was just me. Anything that you may have wanted in Texas, you could have found at Buc-ee's. 


It was time to make a move and get ready for the wedding. Just like my friend's wedding in Denver back in February, I didn't pack a dress or heels in my backpack. But luckily my friend Jess packed some dress and shoe options, and I had a suitable outfit to wear. 



The brides.

The wedding was beautiful. The brides were stunning. We had such a fantastic night of dancing and celebrating. There may have been an after-party with leftover champagne at the hotel. 



Wedding fun.

The following morning was a little rough, but I took that as a good sign of the previous night. Before heading out of town, we headed into Austin for the day. We started off with some tacos, and ended it with some drinks, with some walking around thrown in for fun.



Hanging out in Austin.

One by one, my friends all departed for their respective flights. We made some tentative summer plans and said goodbye. It was such a short visit, but so glad I made the trip.


It was time to head to Dallas and visit another friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment