Queens

Queens

Sunday, December 20, 2015

Chiang Rai

After a week in Pai, it was time to go somewhere else in Thailand. I decided to check out Chiang Rai. Instead of a direct bus, I unfortunately had to go back to Chiang Mai. Which involved the reverse of what I did the week before, going down the curvy, mountain roads. Despite the curviness, the ride wasn't as bad as those in Laos. The roads are much better in Thailand. But they drive faster because of it, which may not always be a good thing. Regardless, I made it to Chiang Mai in one piece, after constantly bumping into my neighbor the entire ride. I booked the next available bus to Chiang Rai, which wasn't for a couple of hours. But luck would have it, I bumped into my friends from Pai. So I hung out with them for a couple of hours before heading back out of town.

The ride to Chiang Rai was a coach bus instead of a minibus, which I took as a good sign that the roads weren't as curvy. The ride wasn't so bad, and they gave us snacks and water. Very similar to some of the buses I took in Turkey. Very appreciative. Especially for the moist toilette to freshen ourselves when we arrived. Once we got to town, I walked to the hostel that came recommended from multiple people. And it was nice and clean. It was pretty great having a bungalow to myself all week, but it was time to spend a couple of days in a dorm room. I've been going back and forth with the housing and it's actually been good to change it up. Although this hostel wasn't much cheaper, but the facilities were nicer.

Hostel courtyard.

Once I settled in, I walked back to town to find dinner and check out the Night Market. I do quite enjoy the Night Markets. Especially as people don't bother you so much, so you can browse in peace. I was more focused on food, so got some pad thai and sat down in this plaza to eat and listen to some live music. I didn't last too much longer than that and headed back to get some sleep.

I really only had one full day in Chiang Rai. People recommended one night, maximum 2 nights. I decided on 2 nights to give me some flexibility. Although 3 wouldn't have been so bad actually. But I was anxious to get to Chiang Mai to settle in before the marathon.

The next morning I went for a run around town and actually a little outside of town. First run of the week to kick-off marathon week. Marathon week isn't like the NYC marathon week, but it's my marathon week. The weather still isn't as cool as I would like it, but it's not so warm and humid. So hopefully it holds up in Chiang Mai and will be a pleasant morning.

After breakfast and buying my bus ticket back to Chiang Mai, I made my way onto a local bus that would take me to Wat Rong Khun (the White Temple). So this was a very local bus. It was cheaper than expected, and I soon learned why. Before leaving the bus station, I watched some guys load up some long parcels onto the bus. Since they were so long, they had some trouple maneuvering them and some passengers had to help. After they were all loaded, the bus, aka package delivery bus, we headed out of town.

Loading up packages on the local bus. 

I made friends with a guy on the bus from Germany (who was Russian) and we explored the temple together. After a stop at the other bus station, we finally made it. Right before it opened up. Which was good, since I wanted to capture some photos with no people in the shot. Which I was successful in. The temple was very impressive. So white and bright. It almost looks fake. The temple is a work in progress and people are still building it and painting inside the temple. I read that it opened in 1997 and isn't expected to be completed until 2070.

Wat Rong Khun.

The temple was built to be white to represent purity. But on closer inspection, you find some scary parts throughout the temple and surrounding area. You see hands reaching out from the ground as you walk up the bridge to the temple. A few scary characters are on the grounds and inside the temple you'll find depictions of Darth Vader, the Twin Towers attack, and Freddie Kruger. But you'll also find some good, such as Harry Potter, Superman, and Leonardo from the Ninja Turtles. As I was inspecting the walls and looking at all the artwork, I had to remind myself I was in a temple.

Lurking in the moat.

After wandering the grounds for a bit, we made our way to the bus stop. We waited for a while, and while we were waiting, a couple of guys come up to wait with us. One of them asks me if he's met me before. And as I look at him, I realize I met him in Jordan. Back in October. Now I've run into people again in various cities. But it's not as surprising when people travel along the same path in the same country. It's always a bit cool and strange when it happens. But this was incredible. We met on a bus leaving Wadi Rum, heading to Petra. After that, he took one path to Thailand and I took another. And randomly met again in Thailand. He was headed to Laos and I was continuing to explore Thailand. What a small world. 
Welcome wall at my hostel in Chiang Rai.

Even though the day was ending, I decided to risk taking the bus out to  Baan Dam (the Black House), a museum of some sort, which includes various buildings on the property with different installations. As opposed to the White Temple, this is a darker alternative since it includes a lot of dead items throughout, such as crocodile and snake skins, skeletons, and other items of that sort. 

Baan Dam.

It was mostly dead items, although, there were a few live animals on the property, including 2 pythons. At first, I felt a little bad that they were in the cage. But then I was like, well I don't want them roaming freely either. When I was trying to take a photo of one of them, I would remember about the other and quickly look around to make sure it wasn't too close. They totally creeped me out. They were enormous. And they were snakes. After spending too long with them, I rushed through the rest of the property before I had to exit. On my way to the bus, I played basketball with a boy for a hot minute, and carried on my way.

For dinner I headed towards the Clock Tower and got some good pad thai and roselle juice at a popular spot on the corner. When I finished, I was pleasantly surprised with a light show on the Clock Tower, which was accompanied by some music. I was wondering why there were so many people standing around while I was eating. I inadvertently chose the pefect spot to watch. 

The Clock Tower.

The following morning, I went for another run around town, which included some dirt trails and a dead end at a corn field. I got back to the hostel after breakfast and packed up my stuff for the ride back to Chiang Mai. Which was uneventful. I don't mind the bus rides, but I do wish they were a bit more comfortable so I could do something on them. But they just drive too fast down the curvy  roads. Good time to try to nap I guess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment