Queens

Queens

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Chiang Mai Marathon Recap

Marathon #10 is complete. And it was a memorable one for sure. I did go halfway around the world to hit this milestone. And since Thailand has been on my list of destination for years, Chiang Mai seemed like a place to do one. And luckily the city was nice too.


Picking up my bib at Tha Pae Gate.

I can't believe a week has already gone by. Training goes on for months, and the morning of, you try to not think about how the race goes on for hours. You want to enjoy it, but you know it's going to hurt and you kind of hope it goes by relatively quickly. And then it's over. Just like that. 

So last Saturday, I had my final pasta dinner before the race and got ready for bed. I was lights out around 8pm. Why so early you may be wondering. Well my alarm was set for 2:15am. This is more of a nap than a night's sleep. But since the race started at 4am, I had to get up earlier to eat my peanut butter sandwich, cereal bar, and banana, and drink my Nuun.


Pre-race spaghetti.

I talked to my sister for a few minutes (you know since it was Saturday, 2:30 in the afternoon in NYC). And got myself ready. All of a sudden it was 3:40. I had to get to the start line. Fortunately the race was so close, and so small, that I had no problem getting to the start line. I dropped off my bag (which really only had my phone, a t-shirt, and chapstick), and made my way to the front of the start line. My friend Jane advised that is what I should do, and that was my intent all along. I didn't think I was going to win, but I figured I'd be a top runner, so should be up front with the other runners, whether they were fast or not. This is what happens with no corral system in place. 

At the start.

I'm trying to catch a GPS signal when I realize that I need to change my watch to kilometers and to switch it to manual lapping. Once that was done, the horn went off. I checked to be sure I had full signal and crossed the starting line. I was on my way in complete darkness, and in 72 degree temperatures and 64% humidity. Definitely not as cool as I was hoping. The forecast said a low of 60, but maybe that was in the evening, not morning? Since I trained in some brutal humidity, I hoped for the best and just ran.

The route consisted of some kilometers around the Old City and then proceeded to take us outside of the city. Since it was complete darkness, I couldn't tell you anything that I saw. Except for the 7-Elevens that seemed to be on every corner. I've seen them everywhere, but had no idea they were this popular. It's everyone's go-to for grocery shopping I think. On top of the markets of course.

I tried to settle into a groove, but every kilometer I clocked, it seemed a bit off. Either it was faster or slower than what my pace was telling me. At some point, I had to forget about my splits, but I still tracked them for a record. But I did get to a point where I either missed some markers or they were not on the course. And eventually they stopped all together. Kind of wish I kept the automatic lap setting on.

For the most part, there were lights all along the course, until I got to the 12k point. Then I was in complete darkness. And I know I sped up here and for the following kilometers. I think being in complete darkness made me nervous and I hurried a little to get out of it. After a couple of kilometers, we were back on a well-lit road.

At the 17k (according to the map not my memory), there was an out and back. When I turned to go back the way I came, some volunteers were handing out something. I instinctively go to grab it, but then miss. It had looked like a hair tie and thought that was a bit strange and wondered what Asian running custom this was. The 2nd time it happened before the 23k mark, I successfully grabbed it (actually 2 of them) and realized why they were handing them out. Since the timing mats were limited on the course, this was their way to ensure that runners were actually doing the out and backs. So I now have a nice collection of different colored hair ties.

Somewhere along the course.
Throughout the course, I steadily passed people, and was feeling generally ok. It was hard to exactly pinpoint my pace though. My intent was to stick below the 5 minute/kilometer pace (this would put me at a 3:30 marathon). If I could go faster later, that would be excellent. I feel like that is what I was doing, but definitely had doubts when some of the kilometer splits came through. I had to remind myself to just run and hope for the best. At some point in the first 3rd of the race, a guy went to pass me, but I was able to stick with him for a little while. I got the general sense that he was actually trying to pace me. I thought he could go faster and leave me in the dust, but he didn't. He also repeatedly looked behind him to ensure I was still there. Again, I didn't get the sense he was worried I was going to pass him. But who knows. Later in the race he asked me whether I was going for a PB (personal best) and told him it would be great, but didn't think it was going to happen. So I think he thought maybe he was helping me achieve that. He was helping me for sure, but not enough for me to get a PR (personal record as us Americans call it). He also wanted to be sure I had a gel (which I had 2). So yes, I think he we looking out for me for some reason. Unfortunately, towards the end, with about 10k to go, he pulled ahead and I couldn't stick with him. But I continued to look for him and tried to keep moving as fast as I could. Which may have been slower than I think but since the kilometer markers stopped at 34k (which I think was wrong), I have no idea what my splits were like. And of course I can't recall my pace now. 

There were 2 other races going on besides the marathon, the half marathon and a 10k. When I got to the half marathon turnaround point, I caught up to the back-of-the-pack people. Unfortunately, this involved a little bit of winding in and out of people as there were runners coming at me, and I was passing runners going in my direction. This wasn't great and I'm sure I expended some unnecessary energy. But that was nothing until we joined up with the 10k runners. Oh boy. At this point, traffic was stopped twice. I of course yelled out that this wasn't ok and tried to keep running, but also not get hit by a car. I still don't think it's ok to stop the slower runners, but to also stop the marathon runners towards the front trying to finish? Not ok. Earlier that morning, there was a car trying to turn down a street that I told to stop and the guy behind me also yelled them. That was nothing compared to this. And it happened again. Right as we joined up with the 10k runners. I wasn't happy at all. I'm just glad I wasn't as close to my PR as I hoped. Otherwise, every second is precious. But my time would have been a little faster if this hadn't happened.

Me in the far left. The photographer was too focused on the
 10k runners and I was trying to avoid them.

So all of a sudden, I'm amongst so many more runners. For most of the race, I felt like I was kind of on my own. Not anymore. I also had a moment of panic that I wasn't supposed to be on the 10k course. From what I remember of the course map, I thought I wasn't going in the right direction. I slowed down and tried to ask a few people whether this was the full course and got blank stares. That's what happens when you run an international marathon I guess. Even though I wasn't positive, I decided to keep running. I then saw a 2k left marker and figured I was on the right track. So I kept running around all the 10k runners and tried to focus on finishing. I eventually came to the 1k left marker and knew I was going to do ok. No PR, but still pretty good with all things considered. As I approached the finish line, they had 3 lanes for the different racers. Someone directed me to the 21k lane, but after looking, I realized their error and got in the 42k lane. And ran into a bunch of dancers. Right before the finish lane. What?!? So I squeezed through them and finally made my across the finish line.
I was done. I was handed my medal and a lanyard that had #1 on it for my age group. I was a little out of it, and a little confused. I thought at first I was the winner. Then looked closely and realized it was only for my age group. But still awesome. I think I was in a little bit of shock and the volunteers were telling me I should be happy. I think all that energy spent from running and the hiccups at the end of the race left me in disbelief. After collecting water, food, and my finisher t-shirt, I made my way to the race organizers and sure enough, I was first in my age group. I still wasn't sure what place I was overall. After I returned with my ID, I counted the others in the 40-49 age group and it looked like 4 runners had a faster time. So I think I got 5th female. After checking the results, I did in fact get 5th, and of course 1st in my age group. I also confirmed my time, which I had wrong by 10 seconds. Remember that first traffic stop? I instinctively stopped my watch as that's what I do when I go out running normally. I realized my error around 10 seconds later and restarted it. Another reason why there shouldn't be any traffic stops.

Jane and I hanging out post-race.

Even though running in the heat wasn't ideal, it was ok to hang out post-race. I got some liquids in me and found Jane. We hung out for a while waiting for the awards. She won the half marathon, so we both had some prizes coming our way. Jane encouraged me to do an ice bath, which I have never done. I'm a little bit of a wuss when it comes to staying in ice-cold water. I can jump into the ocean for a Polar Bear Plunge, but then I'm out immediately. I did the obligatory 5 minutes and actually felt better after. Partly due to numbness.

Ice bath.

We got some ice cream and local Thai food to recover with. I'm usually not starving after a marathon, but this food was perfect to consume so quickly after. I of course was going to be on the lookout for a burger and beer later on.


Post-race Thai food.

After doing the 10k and half marathon awards, it was finally time for the marathon awards. I got to go up on stage and collect my prizes which consisted of a heavy duty trophy, a Banana Boat gift basket, and 10,000 baht. Pretty amazing. My prize money was taxed of course, but I walked away with 9500 baht, which is about $262. The only money I've ever won in any race.

5th overall female and 1st in my age group.

I showered and cleaned myself up, and Jane I went to celebrate with a burger and beer. My usual post-marathon meal. And it was delicious. I spent the rest of the day resting a bit and consuming local food to get back all those calories back. 



Post-race Western food and beer.
I've taken a week off of running, which has been good. But I am getting anxious to run again. Being at the beach when it's hot to rest was actually good, since my motivation was to get to the beach instead of going for a run. We'll give it a few more days and think about getting back into it. Maybe I can find a race in Australia. 

Marathon #11: Berlin 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment