Queens

Queens

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Istanbul

I'm on Day 5 of my adventure. I'm counting the first day as it was the day I left. But it was only a travel day. I guess I had some champagne at JFK, which could be seen as exciting. I mean for me it was. Bubbly to kick start off the trip for $14? Yes please. After a quick layover in Russia, I eventually made it to my first destination on Day 2. 

In the last 72+ hours I've been able to cover a lot of Istanbul. I can't help feeling like a tourist. Well I guess I am. But there seems to be a lot of them, so I don't stand out. Too much. And going from NYC to another city actually bodes well for me as that is where I fit in most. Hustlers can't get anything on me. It's a nice transition to a new country, and I can acclimate myself a bit before heading to more remote areas. 

So what have I done so far you may be wondering. I explored the neighborhood I'm staying in (Beyoglu) and went up the Galata Tower my first day (all after taking a much needed shower of course). The tower had some pretty good views of the city, which I caught right at sunset.

View from Galata Tower, looking at Suleymaniye Mosque.

On Day 3, I wandered around the other side of the city and visited both the Suleymaniye and Sultan Ahmed Camii (Mosque). Both were pretty cool and a little bit different. Of course it's quite warm here (still summer-like and not too different from NYC except way less humidity), and I was wearing shorts. I did have a scarf with me to cover my head and shoulders, but they provided a skirt for me to wear. A long skirt did not make the cut when I packed. Actually I guess I have to own one first before it could make any sort of cut. 

Outside Suleymaniye Mosque.
Inside the Sultan Ahmed Mosque.
Yesterday was a bit of a lazier day. I guess after a 15-miler, I deserved it. I took a nap. Longer than I anticipated. Then decided it was a bit too late to do anything else but get some beer. So that is what I did. I found myself at a nearby "urban garden" bar. One of the things I love about this city, are all the hidden side streets. You can turn down any one of them and find a restaurant or bar. So that's what I did. I'm on a mission to try all the different Efes beers that Turkey has to offer. I've tried 3 of them so far: the pilsner, the dark one, and the malt one. I like the dark one the best as of now. I then decided to do a Turkish bath. But I'm going to come back to you on that one. I'd like to do one more before leaving Turkey and will provide a review then. 

Today was more of a touristy day. After my very humid run (did I mention it's not humid here?), I made my way to Gulhane Park. This was a suprise find. I didn't realize it was there and went through the gates and was pleasantly surprised to find all this greenery. As much as I love the side streets, I wish there was more green space here. I didn't realized I missed it until I came across this park. I know I spent most of my time walking around the urban jungle known as NYC, but I did get my almost daily dose of Central Park. Which does make a difference. 

Gulhane Park.

After that I checked out the Basilica Cistern and the Hagia Sophia. Both pretty cool spots if you get a chance to get to Istanbul. 

Basilica Cistern.

Hagia Sophia.

That's it for now. I'm going to pay my bill at this lovely outdoor bar and head to bed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment