Queens

Queens

Monday, May 15, 2017

California Living

I finally made the move. After years of thinking about it, months of being at home searching for a job and some soul searching, and weeks exploring California back in March, I went for it. I picked up and moved to San Francisco. 

After college graduation, I moved to New York City with no job, a temporary apartment, and 2 suitcases of belongings.  I planned on getting a job in advertising or marketing, and a few months later I did. And then I found an apartment. My post-college life was starting. 


However, I only planned on staying for a few years. I wanted to either go to Business School, join the Peace Corps, or head West. None of those things happened. But I do not regret my 10 years in NYC. I essentially grew up there. I arrived as a fresh-faced 23-year old, and left as a somewhat-wise 33-year-old. I moved my way up in the advertising world, formed relationships outside of college friends, spent the occasional 4am late night out, and lived on my own for the very first time. So many great memories, and a couple not-so-great ones. 


When my 10-year anniversary of living in NYC approached, it was time to make the 3rd biggest decision of my life (1. selecting which college to attend, 2. moving to NYC after graduation). It was time to quit my job, leave NYC, and travel the world. It what an incredible experience. You can read all about my world adventures in this blog, but this post is not about that. It's about the 4th biggest decision of my life, making the move to the West Coast.


And that's what I've done. Back in March, I got a buddy pass to California to investigate where I wanted to live. I already had a pros list going based on previous visits and online research, but I had to go in person. My friend Lindsay and her family hosted me in beautiful San Diego, where I got to explore the city for the 2nd time. I then spent a few days driving up the coast to take in all of what the rugged coast had to offer. My last stop was San Francisco, where I crashed with my friends Lindy and Melanie, and experienced what my life would be like if I lived there. After about 3 weeks, it was time to make my way back to Upstate New York, and make a decision. 


Before my trip, I was leaning towards San Francisco, especially after visiting for my friend's wedding back in 2012. I could definitely see myself living there as I spent a few beautiful October days wandering the city. This last visit pretty much solidified my decision. The city is beautiful, as is the surrounding area. The weather is supposed to be pretty nice. I have friends here, most of who relocated from NYC. There is an amazing running community. The potential to explore the West is easy from here. And the jobs. There are so many opportunities in SF. And since I need a job to stay here, that is a good thing.


So I got on a plane to San Francisco last Friday, after a short visit to NYC to see friends and family. I'm only a few days in, and am slowly adjusting. Although the adjustment isn't to a new city, it's being in a more permanent place. I've spent the better part of the last 20 months being a nomad. I've lived out of a backpack, slept on various couches and beds, and didn't stay in one place for too long. It's only been a few days, but the feeling of being a visitor will go away. I will have regular run dates with friends, go on hikes, do brunch, get a library card, find a job, attend Giants games (not football), and find my spot in this bustling city on the coast.


Here's to the next phase. 


"If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere." 
~ Frank Sinatra


SF trying to impress. And succeeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment