Queens

Queens

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Bruges

My first stop in Belgium, my 37th country, was Bruges. I had about a week in Belgium and based on recommendations, Bruges was at the top of the list, so I went there first. I arrived pretty late due to the delay of my car share driver in Luxembourg City, but good thing for the bar in the hostel. I dropped my things off in my room, where fortunately my roommates were still awake, got settled a bit, and went back downstairs to enjoy my first Belgian beer in Belgium. And it was delicious. 

Belgian beer.

The following morning, after breakfast, I went to check out the city. But before I left the hostel, I signed up for a walking tour for later in the day. Because of this, I tried to avoid some of the main touristy stops. But some places I couldn't help but see.

Grote Markt Square.

Belfry Tower.

For lunch, I had my first real taste of Belgium, frites. Just as a heads up, I was planning on eating and drinking my way through Belgium. I had to get mayo and curry sauce since apparently that is the thing to do. I can now say that I tried it. But I will stick with regular ketchup for now. I'm not a fan of mayo to begin with, let alone having it with fries. I really only like it when it's mixed in egg salad.

Frites.

I walked further out of the center of town to explore a bit and see the windmills along the Gent-Bruges Canal.

Bruges doors.

Bonne Chiere. 

After seeing the 4 windmills along the canal, I hurried back to the hostel for the walking tour. I met the group and we spent the next few hours walking around the city. We saw various scenes from the movie Bruges (which is on my to-watch list), beautiful architecture, cool canals, and medieval churches. Bruges really is a pretty city and I can see what all the fuss is about. During the tour, I met an American from Hawaii, who lives in New Mexico. She was traveling on her own for the first time and was have a great time. We ended up spending the next few days together.

Belgian architecture.

Scenes from Bruges.

Beautiful canals.

Our last stop on the tour was the Beer Museum, where Bri and I shared a beer tasting. We had a good time chatting with our new friends from Brazil. Afterwards, we wandered for a bit, and made our way to the Beer Wall, where we tried some more Belgian beer.

The Beer Museum.

The Beer Wall. 

The next morning, I got a run in. Mostly because I love running. But also to fully enjoy all the beer, chocolate, waffles, frites, and other Belgian goodness I was planning on consuming. The run was really enjoyable, and reminds me of why I love running paths along water. 

Beautiful run along the canal.

My next food item to try were waffles. Now waffles is not at the top of my list for breakfast food (I'm more of a French toast girl). But true Belgian waffles, with chocolate sauce and whipped cream, that's another story. So good. I could eat them for dessert all the time. The next one I get will have ice cream on it.

Belgian waffles.

After a few errands, Bri and I hit up some new places as we walked around town, and revisited a few places from our tour so I could get better pictures.

Leaves falling on canals.

One of the prettiest spots in Bruges.

Houses on the canal.

After we saw everything we wanted to see, we went looking for chocolate and beer.

Chocolate.

Beer.

Brouwerij De Halve Maan.

We eventually headed back to the hostel to spend the rest of the evening. We met a local girl who works at the hostel, who shared her stash of beer with us. Which was amazing. She had so many different kinds that she opened up. It was a true Belgian tasting.

So much beer.

Even after all that beer, and unwarranted warnings from some guy at the hostel, we got up with no issue. I checked out, met up with Bri, and we headed to Antwerp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment