Queens

Queens

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Safed

I've spent the last few days in Safed and exploring a little bit of the Golan Heights. I wasn't completely aware, but Safed is a pretty religious town. Since it's known for all the artists, you don't really put the two together. I thought I was in Brooklyn at first. You know the non-hipster part of the borough. The apartment I stayed in actually had a group of religious guys staying in the other room for one night. But I didn't interact with them much. And I have no idea what they thought of me. I'm not Jewish, let alone religious. 

I explored the town of Safed on Sunday. After my 20-miler on Saturday, my legs were a bit tired, so I was moving slowly up and down all the stairs. I don't know if I just keep picking hilly towns, or if everywhere is hilly except for NYC. Since it's off-season, the town is a bit quiet, but I've been chatting up with a bunch of people regardless. I met a woman from Baltimore who moved to Safed when she was a teenager and who's husband does Kabbalah artwork. I even got a mini lesson on Kabbalah. Of course all I could think of was Madonna. I had the good graces to not mention her. I met another couple from Long Island (who now live in Florida) who were very enthusiastic about my travels and were on their own tour of Israel. And lastly I met a couple of younger girls from Brooklyn who are studying the Torah for a year. All very interesting and different people. But all very nice

The art galleries were all very nice. I would love to have bought something. I'll just have to come back. I loved all the side streets and alleyways. I didn't mind getting lost at all. At one point, I was even able to point a couple in the right direction. Usually when someone starts speaking to me, I have a feeling a blank stare comes onto my face. But then they figure out I speak English (once I actually start speaking), and we go from there. This time I was helping, instead of the other way around. 

Simtat Hamashiach Alleyway.

I also tried some pretty good kosher wine at the Ancient Safed Winery and the Abouhav Winery. I don't care if it's kosher or not, but I was assured it was Kosher certified. I just have to look for the stamp of approval. I also found cheese and got way more than I needed at the Kodash cheese shop. The cheese maker (7th generation) wanted me to stay and sit for a while. I figured, I wasn't in a rush, so had some Ancient Safed Winery and asked questions when he wasn't busy doing something or taking care of customers. 

Kodash cheese.

I did take a day trip to Banias Nature Preserve. I thought about renting a car, but since I'm a bit budget-conscious, I figured the buses will work just fine. So after 2 bus rides, I made it to Banias relatively easy. The hike from the springs, along the stream, to the falls was estimated at 90 minutes. I should have known that was a generous amount of time. I think I did it in about 60 minutes. I didn't run it if that's what you are all thinking. Although, I think it would be a good trail to run. I stopped for photos, to take in the shade near the water, and I had a couple of snack breaks. This girl gets hungry. Again, since its off-season, it was almost like I had it all to myself. Which was nice. But it was still so hot out. I keep forgetting that it's October. And I had to keep reading the "No swimming allowed" signs. I thought about going in, but decided I should respect the park in the way it deserved. The falls were really nice once I made it there. I welcomed the breeze and took it all in. All in all it was a pretty good day. Well with the exception of getting back to Safed. From the preserve, a nice Israeli couple gave me a ride to the bus stop, which was very helpful. Their daughter is currently traveling in South Korea, so they are hoping people are doing the same for her. Which I believe they are. So then I waited for the bus. Which never came. Over an hour later and that same couple drove by again. They picked me up and took me to the town where I needed to catch my connection to Safed. I was very grateful that they came along. You know and they weren't crazy. One thing I realized was how close I was to the Lebanon and Syria border. It's kind of crazy that I could have seen the countries (I'm pretty sure I didn't). The couple actually asked if I was going to Syria. I laughed and said "no way". I'm interested in seeing the world, but from somewhat of a safer distance. 

Banias Falls.

My time in Safed was pretty relaxing. A lot of very friendly people who all loved that I was from New York. Although one guy thought I was from China. That's a first. Oh and so many kids. They were everywhere, going to school or playing into the evening. I did get a few looks from them, especially when running, but it's nice to see them around. 

Next stop: Jerusalem.

No comments:

Post a Comment