Queens

Queens

Friday, July 4, 2014

happy 4th

Happy 4th of July! Today not only marks America's 238th anniversary of independence from Great Britain, but the completion of my 40-day run streak. From Memorial Day on May 26th to the 4th of July, I ran every single day by participating in the Runner's World run streak. I only had run at least one mile every day for 40 days. Only. 

Now I didn't set out to the streak. I heard about it and tentatively thought I would participate. But it wasn't until over a week straight of running that I decided 'why not?'. It would way easier than the Thanksgiving to New Year's streak. No polar vortex, freezing wind and snow, and layers upon layers of clothing. And it was really only for 40 days. Some runners have been streaking for decades. I don't have a desire to do that and it would be incredibly hard to keep up. But figured a 40-day streak was doable. Although technically it's more than 40, since I ran the day before Memorial Day. And I'll probably run for the next couple of days. But you get the idea. 

Here are a few statistics from my streak:

Total days: 41
Total miles: 237.3 miles
Longest run: 16 miles
Shortest run: 1.8 miles
Locations: NYC, Boston, Nantucket, Ithaca, Locke, and Peekskill
Races: 2

I ran through mostly heat and humidity, but throw in some pouring rain, and thunder and lightning storms for good measure. I started and ended the streak in my very own backyardCentral Park. I ran with friends, teammates and by myself. And I officially kicked off marathon training. 

I know I'm going to end my run streak in a couple of days. I could potentially keep going, but I do believe in rest days. And definitely after big races like a 1/2 and full marathon, I like to take some extended time off. But maybe I'll do the holiday streak later this year. 

Happy running! 

No comments:

Post a Comment