Queens

Queens

Friday, January 17, 2014

books (2013 part 3)

This is the final installment of the books I read in 2013. I didn't read the 45 books I set out to, but I'm ok with that since it was a very busy and fun year. Also, in September I succumbed to pressure and downloaded Candy Crush. It took way longer to read my books after that. And it didn't help that the last book I read was over 900 pages (but was worth it). Lastly, I re-read Catching Fire and Mockingjay since the 2nd movie had come out. I set my challenge for 2014 to the 45 books like last year. We'll see how that goes. 

Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl, Sandberg
I enjoyed reading this. However, I didn't get through it as quickly as I would have liked. While I was reading this book, I wasn't in a good place at work. I was actually very frustrated with my job and it was hard to read about work when all I wanted to do was not think about work. But then it got better and I was able to finish the book. Some people didn't like this book and don't like Sheryl's take on how to approach your career from a female perspective. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though. I did take some interesting things from it and I'm going to apply them to my career. Or at least try to. 

Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart
This was an interesting take on how America is collapsing in the near future, intermingled with a love story, albeit not a traditional love story. It was well written, but not one of my favorite books from last year. 

Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham
This was an easy and true-to-life book about an actress struggling in NYC. I thought it was cute and funny. Nothing super amazing, but a good fast read which was perfect on the beach. 

Chasing Mona Lisa by Tricia Goyer
I had to add one more WWII book in for the year. This was one a different take on the war as opposed to the others. Agents are set out to protect the Mona Lisa from the Nazis. It was a quick read and suspenseful. Another good beach read. 

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
This was a great book, in a guilty pleasure way. And I kind of want them to make a movie out of it. Nicholas invites his girlfriend, Rachel, to attend the wedding of the year in Singapore and embark on a roller coaster of the wealthy and insane. 

Fall of Giants by Ken Follett
Another engrossing Ken Follett book. This one takes place in the lead-up to WWI and gives points of view of all the players involved--the US, the UK, Germany, Austria, Russia, ect. It's a fictional account, but has the historic parallel. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel which takes place around WWII. 

34/45 books in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment