Queens

Queens

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

chicago & denver

Last week, I visited my 10th and 11th state this year (including DC). They weren't new states, but I did visit a couple of great ones that I've been to already.

The weekend before last I flew to Chicago to run the marathon. Since it was the beginning of October, the weather is usually pretty nice. However, it was the first time I felt frigid temps this fall. But luckily that made for ideal running weather on Sunday.

The Chicagoen crowds were pretty amazing as I wound 26.2 miles around the Windy City. For the race I felt pretty good almost entire time but don't think I was aggressive enough. Which is always a dilemma when you run a marathon. I had a goal to break 3:35 in order to BQ. This would have been a 4 minute PR from last year, which would have been amazing. However, I may have been too conservative and only ended with a 3:40:20. Still a respectable timeespecially as its my 2nd fastest time. However, still disappointing. With the flat course, ideal running temps, and a strong training season, I had hoped to do better. I felt good up to the last couple of miles. I felt fine, but was slowing down a bit in the last few. I try to go back and remember what I was thinking and it's always a blank. Just couting to a 100 repeatedly until the finish line. That little tiny hill at the end was NOT cool. But at least they had a beer waiting for me at the finish.  


Chicago Marathon Finisher

I'm a bit conflicted in how I did. I really wanted to do better, but I felt good throughout and luckily no previous hamstring issues arose. I've been telling myself that I would take 2013 off. I'm really going to try, even when everyone will be thinking about their fall marathon in the spring. We'll see what the spring brings.

The day after the marathon, I enjoyed what Chicago has to offer. I did a Wrigley Field tour, an Architectural Cruise, and got my medal engraved at Niketown. A pretty good day, even if I was moving slowly.

Wrigley Field

Chicago Architecture

I then made my way to Denver to visit a friend, hike some mountains, and drink some beer. A few friends have raved about their college town, so I first took a day-trip to Boulder the first day. I was going back and forth about hiking Mt. Salinas since I just ran a marathon, but hey, why not. The 3 miles may have helped the recovery process—or maybe not. And honestly, I couldn't NOT hike in Colorado. I celebrated by hitting up a couple of breweries.

Top of Mt. Salinas in Boulder


I then roamed around Denver for a few days, where I pretty much ate lots of food, tried lots of microbrews, and watched the Yankees get to the ALCS. Oh and I also hiked another moutain—Mt. Galbraith (4.2 miles). Below is a sampling of the places I ate and drank at to combat my marathon and hikes. All recommended. 

More beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment