Queens

Queens

Monday, September 3, 2012

august book update

In August, I only got through two books (one of which I started in July). I guess that's what happens when you decide to read Three Musketeers, which is approximately 715 pages.

Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
The book was pretty good. I liked The Count of Monte Cristo better, but this has a series of books that follow the Three Musketeers through decades. The book was quite long, so it did take me a while to get through it.

I saw the movie when I was younger, but don't remember much except there were 3 men always getting in sword fights. Obviously the book goes into much more detail and chronicles how the 'fourth' musketeer, D'Artagnan, joins the ranks of the famous trio. In a few months, I'll read Twenty Years Later to continue D'Artagnan's story.

Until We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris
This is another book club book, about working in an office. I figured it would be interesting since it takes places in a Chicago ad agency and it was. I definitely understood a lot of the happenings in the office since that's what I do every day. The book goes into various characters during a series of layoffs, which hopefully won't ever happen to me.

I'm glad I read the book and there were some funny parts (but only in the I-understand-this-from-working-in-an-agency POV), some sad parts, and some shocking parts. It really got me thinking about my old company and the people I used to work with. I spent about 4 years there, the longest at any job. I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about the book. There are some parts that will be interesting to discuss, and others that made me question what I'm doing day in and day out. I guess this is meant to be thought-provoking.

As I'm writing this, I'm anxious to get back to Gone Girl, which has been a suspenseful hit so far.

27/30 books in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment