Queens

Queens

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Animal Farm

I think this is a record. I finished Animal Farm by George Orwell in 2 days. I had seen it at the bookstore and knew it was pretty short. I downloaded this and 1984 on my Kindle as one book. So it was deceiving how close to the end I was.  

The book is about an animal farm that rebels against humans and takes control of the manor. They come up with Animalism commandments and say that all animals have equal rights, and shouldn’t act like humans. Of course, this doesn’t last. The pigs are the cleverest of the animals and slowly but surely, take control of the farm and the other animals. Before long, they are acting like humans and breaking all their commandments.

This novel has historical significance of the Stalin era leading up to WWII. I hadn’t realized, but this book was actually banned up until 1989 in the Easter Bloc. Not surprising since this is when Communism fell. You really see the comparisons drawn from this animal farm and how Napoleon, the leader, is able to take control and sway the other animals to believe untrue things.

Overall, I would highly recommend this book. It’s pretty short, and is historically relevant.

Next up is some thriller book about Facebook I downloaded for free on my kindle. Let's see how this turns out. But sounds perfect to read at the beach. I think I may attempt The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas next. It’s pretty long, so we shall see how much time this one takes….

So far I’ve crossed off:

1.       Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
2.       Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
3.       A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
4.       Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
5.       Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
6.       Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
7.       Animal Farm by George Orwell

No comments:

Post a Comment