Queens

Queens

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Crime and Punishment

Fourth classic off the list! Yes, I will continue exclaiming each one as I finish it. I have 6 to go. Man, I gotta find some shorter classics. In the time since I read the last classic, I had actually decided to re-read the Harry Potter series in preparation for the last movie. It took me about the same length of time to read all 7 HP books and this particular classic. Once I completed the HP series (and yes, I went through withdrawal again), I started Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Now I’ve never read this before (obviously that’s why it’s on the list) and had no idea what it was about. I downloaded it onto my Kindle and decided to give it a go. 15% into it (yes, the Kindle is very accurate), I was in for a shock. Note: spoiler alert. The main character goes and murders a woman (with her sister as collateral damage) with an axe. Yeah, I wasn’t expecting that at all.

The remainder of the book takes you through the character’s Napoleonic beliefs and his torment over the murders. There are a few more surprises later on and an ending that was somewhat expected. All I know is those Russian authors like to have extra long names for their characters. And they go by their full names. This is why these books are so damn long.

Overall it was good. I probably glossed over portions of the book again like with the other classics, I had to make sure I had the characters straight. They have 3 names apiece and they go by a different in each part of the book. Not confusing at all.

Time to choose my next book…

No comments:

Post a Comment